Monday, February 15, 2016

Teach me

Teach me
(Thomas Reade, "Christian Meditations")
"Teach me Your way, O Lord, and lead
 me
 in a plain path." Psalm 27:11

"Teach me, and I will be quiet; show me
 where I have been wrong." Job 6:24 

O Lord, teach me to know the vanity and
emptiness of the world; its insufficiency to
gratify the desires, or satisfy the longings of
the new born soul; yes, its utter inability to
make its most devoted votaries happy.

Teach me to value the bliss of heaven above
all earthly joys; and to dread the torments of
hell 
above all earthly sorrow.

Alas! how often do the pleasures of sense blunt
my sensibilities to those things which are above;
while the troubles of time obliterate from my
mind, the miseries which await the impenitent
and unbelieving.

Teach me, O blessed Savior, cheerfully to refuse
the pleasures of sin, which end in everlasting
torment; and cheerfully to endure those trials,
for Your sake and the gospel's, which terminate
in endless glory!

"Show me Your ways, O Lord, teach me Your
 paths; guide me in Your truth and teach me,
 for You are God my Savior, and my hope is
 in You all day long." Psalm 25:4-5


No comments:

Post a Comment