Saturday, December 19, 2015

I saw One hanging on a tree!

I saw One hanging on a tree!
-by John Newton

In evil long I took delight,
       Unawed by shame or fear,
   Till a new object struck my sight,
      And stopped my wild career.

    I saw One hanging on a tree,
         In agonies and blood;
   He fixed His languid eyes on me,
       As near His cross I stood.

    Sure never till my last breath,
        Shall I forget that look!
It seemed to charge me with His death,
     Though not a word He spoke.

 A second look He gave, which said,
          "I freely all forgive;
  This blood is for your ransom paid;
       I die that you may live."

 Thus while His death my sin displays
         In all its blackest hue,
    Such is the mystery of grace,
        It seals my pardon too!



No comments:

Post a Comment